Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Christmas

Christmas this year was lovely. I tried to keep it a bit low key and with the help of Joe, I didn't get stressed out. We also tried to keep presents on the few and simple side which was a good thing seeing that Eli was overwhelmed with the amount he did get from all the extended family. Though the best thing about Christmas for Eli was that he got to play with his grandma and grandpa Abel. He's going to be going through attention withdrawals when they leave.
I'm keeping Skabelund traditions alive in this new little family and love doing it. We had homemade pizza (asparagus and chicken is delicious) and rice pudding on Christmas Eve. The next morning we had a birthday sweet roll. We sang happy birthday to baby Jesus (sorry Aaron you got shafted) and Eli got to blow the candles out. It's a nice way to start off the morning remembering what Christmas is really about.
We didn't have a snowy Christmas but by Monday morning Eli was able to use the new shovel gramps and grams Skabelund gave him. It's the first real snow storm we've had here.
The other day I read this quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson. He wrote, "Rings and jewels are not gifts, but apologies for gifts. the only gift is a portion of thyself." I have to say looking back at the last year the times that were most enjoyable was the time I spent with family. Joe's best gift to me throughout the year were his small acts of service especially in the last couple of weeks as I've ballo0ned. I know he just loves picking things off the floor for me, tying up my boot laces and being my back pillow. Hopefully, I've given a portion of myself to those I love most too. I'm so thankful for the lovely family I have. I'm excited for the new little one on the way even with the looming work of helping Eli adjust, the lack of sleep, recovery, and stress in general.
Speaking of being a balloon, I'm bigger than I was with Eli and this picture proves it. Some of my maternity shirts don't even fit over my belly and I still have a month and a bit to go. I'm sure Eli could name quite a few animal names that are descriptive of me.
Speaking of the little chap. He's become quite the talker. It's fun to see what new words he says every week. He's newest thing is counting to ten when we play hide and seek. Though with the language comes a stubborn determination to do his own will.
Hope that all had a Merry Christmas... and will have a good New Year.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your Christmas with us! Mom loves visiting Cafe Abel! Love you four!

    ReplyDelete
  2. such cute photos! sure do love you all. can't wait to see you this summer!

    ReplyDelete